This quick and easy rainbow chicken stir-fry is ready in less than 20 minutes and loaded with vegetables of all colors, making it a great weeknight meal.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup Jasmine Rice or Quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 lb. organic boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped (smaller than zucchini by about half)
- 4 scallion tops (green onion), chopped
- 1 small jalapeño chili pepper, finely chopped (optional) – only if you like spice
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 6 mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage (optional)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 tsp. avocado oil or coconut oil
- 2 tsp. cumin,1 tsp. turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp. sea salt and 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Combine water and rice/quinoa in small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer until liquid has been absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Put carrot in small saucepan with enough water to cover by 2″ while rice is cooking. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in large nonstick frying pan or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
- Return pan to heat and add remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Stir in green onion tops and jalapeño pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Add zucchini, bell pepper, mushrooms, cabbage, turmeric and cumin. Cook until vegetables start to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in peas and cooked chicken and cook 2 minutes. Add rice/quinoa and carrot. Cook, stirring frequently, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, sea salt, and black pepper.